...or at least TRYING to!

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." ~Psalm 118:24



Monday, January 30, 2012

GG turns 90!

This past weekend Richard and I got to take a trip up to the Portland area for my Grandmother's Birthday.  "GG," as the greats all call her, turns 90 this week!  What an amazing women my Grandmother is.  My desire to create with my sewing machine comes from her.  An avid seamstress in her younger years, she still tries to keep busy creating with fabric.  I spent several summers with her when growing up, and though there's a great distance between us, the bond we share has never wavered.  Every time I'm with her I feel as though we'd never been apart.  I wish we could have spent more time together, but I know we're thinking of each other over the miles.

My Dearest Grandmother,
     Words don't seem to be enough to describe how much I love you.  Even though the distance between us is great, I've always felt a wonderful bond with you that the miles haven't caused to waver.  Spending my summers with you while growing up are some of my happiest memories of that time of my life.  Our trip to the beach and cheese factory for ice cream, Pendleton for wool to make skirts, and sewing with you are all treasured memories.  I knew without a doubt that you and Grandad loved me truly.  Feeling that love even though we rarely got to see each other is something that I treasure to this day, and can't thank you enough for.
     Our conversation when I was about nineteen is another of my favorite memories.  The conversation when I promised you that someday you'd have a granddaughter named after you.  You said no, because you hated your name and didn't want another poor little girl to suffer through with that name, so we compromised and I assured you her name would just be "Hallie," instead of "Halcyon."  I never doubted that the Lord would give me a little Hallie, and now that beautiful baby is five years old.  She is a joyful delight to us all and a sweet girl who happily shares her GG's name.  I know you're proud for her to have your name, and I know she's proud to share it with you.  Wanting to name her after you is my way of showing you how much I love you, which I hope you already know.
     Even though I don't always get to tell you, I love you dearly and know you've always been there for me with thoughts and prayers.  Thank you for blessing me with your love for all these years.  Happy Birthday Grandmother.
All my love,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment